Starting a Garden
So you're ready to start a garden. But where do you begin? It's a project that requires some planning. What type of garden do you want?
There are so many to choose from – flower garden, vegetable garden, herb garden. And what types of plants do you want in your garden –plants to attract butterflies or birds, edible plants, or flowering plants by color or scent?
With a little planning, you can have the garden you desire and enjoy the experience of creating it.
Talk to neighbors and find out what they're planting and what works in the area. Get some books or magazines on garden plans and garden layouts to get you started.
The first thing to do when starting a garden is decide where it will be. Consider the amount of sunlight the area gets.
Don't forget things like the house or other structures and trees that can shade the area. Consider any low areas that may not drain well, or slopes that may erode.
Your garden will be a place of enjoyment for your whole family. Starting a garden with your kids can be a great learning and sharing experience for you both. Give them an area of their own, with plants that are kid-friendly, like sunflowers.
Consider planting a patch of catnip for kitty. It's all about creating a beautiful, enjoyable environment for everyone.
Once you've selected an area and have an idea of what you want to plant, you're ready to start drawing up a plan. Sit and sketch your garden.
Use graph paper to draw up a grid of the area, or draw out a simple layout. It doesn't need to be fancy, but be sure to include structures and paths that are in the area. Be sure you'll have access to a hose for watering, and a place to keep tools handy.
And don't forget to provide a place to sit, relax and enjoy each step along the way to a beautiful garden. Once your area is planned, it's time to think about your plantings.
Gardening catalogs are great to have handy when you're starting a garden. They are a wealth of information, providing plant guides with details on individual plants.
Cut out some pictures and arrange them on your layout. Visit garden centers and learn about native plants that will be low maintenance.
Anticipate the full size of plants before planting, to avoid overbuying and overcrowding. Get the proper tools for the work to be done, and dig in! You're on your way to a beautiful garden to enjoy for many years.
Use the search box below to find what you're looking for:
- Gardening Flowers Plants Trees
- Gardening flowers plants trees and other plantings are available to suite your needs and taste.
- Garden Landscape Design
- A beautiful garden landscape design should include every element that goes into your property and its purpose in the overall design.
- Japanese Garden Design
- To recreate a Japanese garden design in our smaller landscapes, it is important to understand the use of perspective, scale and natural elements in Japanese gardens.
- Perennial Garden Plans
- Create different perennial garden plans for various areas of your landscape: Perennials for Location, Perennials for Fragrance, Perennials for Color
- Garden Layouts
- Having a beautiful and enjoyable garden requires a little planning. There are many types of garden layouts to choose from, depending on the location, size and shape of your area .....
- Flower Names
- There are many flowers available for your garden. Finding the perfect flower plants for your garden depends on where you live, your taste and your garden plans. Flower names.....
- Flower Garden Ideas
- When looking for flower garden ideas, consider the colors and scents that revitalize you. A few of the most popular are rose gardens, butterfly gardens, and gardens with specific color schemes.
- Types of Flowers
- Different types of flowers can be categorized into groups, based on their attributes.
- Rose Plants
- Rose plants have everything a gardener looks for -- variety of color, fragrance and shape. From the smallest of miniature roses to the tallest of climbers, in numerous shades of white, yellow, pink, r
- Plant Names
- Finding the perfect plants for your garden is depends on where you live, your taste and your garden plans. Plant names .....
- Plant Identification Guides
- Different types of plants can be categorized into groups, based on their attributes. By using plant identification guides that identify plants by common and botanical names....
- Houseplant Identification
- By identifying some common household plants, and examining their family characteristics, we can see similarities in growth habits and requirements and help with our houseplant identification.
- Landscape Plant Guide
- A landscape plant guide will help you create a beautiful exterior to your home. Using your list of desired plants, create a landscape plant guide of the trees, flowers and shrubs you want.
- Plant Life Cycle
- The plant life cycle is fascinating. When you break down the complex stages of development into simple terms, it's easy to see how amazing the plant kingdom is.
- Online Plant Nursery
- The main advantage to shopping from an online plant nursery is going to be selection. The nurseries that are offering plants online often have enormous growing grounds....
- Types of Trees
- Knowing the characteristics of various types of trees will make selecting a tree for your landscape easier.
- Tree Identification
- Begin the process of tree identification by learning the basic characteristics of each tree. All trees have distinctive traits.
- Fruit Tree Nurseries
- Fruit Tree Nurseries grow fruit trees from seed or cutting into a viable plant large enough to be placed in a landscape.
- Fast Growing Shrubs
- Whether you are looking for evergreens, fall colors, flowers or scents, there are varieties of fast growing shrubs to fit your space and your needs.
- Pruning Shrubs
- Properly pruning shrubs can generate lush, healthy growth and prolific flowering.
- Boxwood Shrub
- Boxwood shrub is an ideal plant for trimming into precise shapes and designs. With its compact shape and dense, dark foliage, it keeps a sharp design and beautiful appearance when trimmed.
- Gardeners can now find varieties of Weigela with leaves in green, purple so dark it almost looks black, or variegated yellow.
- Kalmia Latifolia
- When Kalmia Latifolia grows in the wild, they can reach up to 25 feet in height. In garden settings, the plants may only reach 8 feet tall.
- Vegetable Garden Tips, guide to a bountiful vegetables garden harvest.
- Vegetable gardens combine the joy of gardening with the anticipation of a bountiful harvest. Following these simple vegetable garden tips will bring you a fun season of growing and a bountiful harvest
- Vegetable Plants
- When you're ready to start buying vegetable plants, remember that all plants don't grow in the same temperatures.....
- Tomato Plants
- One of the most important considerations when selecting which tomato plants to grow will be whether you want to be able to pick continuously throughout the growing season (indeterminate varieties) or
- Herb Garden Design
- A favorite herb garden design is the wagon wheel. You can use an actual wagon wheel, planting between the spokes, or create a bed in the shape of one, with areas clearly divided for ......
- Herbal Plants
- Herbal plants are categorized by their primary uses, although many cross over into more than one category. There are herbs for health, cooking, beauty, decorating and household use.
- Organic Gardening for Beginners
- Organic gardening for beginners reveal the best way to create an organic garden.
- Lawn Garden Tools
- Before buying a set of lawn garden tools, define exactly what you need for the job at hand, start with the basics and build your collection.
- Plant Pests
- The key to control and elimination of plant pests is watching for early signs of damage.
- Garden solar lighting is a great way to light your landscape
- Garden solar lighting is a great way to light your landscape, your gardens and garden paths easily and sometimes with not much money involved.
- Garden Shed Plans
- There are many different styles of garden shed plans available, made from various building materials. You can use wood, metal or vinyl for the frame. Select what works best in your landscape .....
- Outdoor Seating
- When purchasing any kind of furniture for your outside areas, there are a few things to consider: determine the kind of outdoor seating you need, decide where to place your outdoor seating.....
- Garden Waterfalls
- Whether small or large, with rushing water or a trickle, garden waterfalls add dramatic impact to your landscape. Whichever size and style you chose, this beautiful addition to your landscape.....
- Starting-a-garden.com Search Results
- Starting-a-garden.com Search Results
- Starting-a-garden.com blog
- The Starting a garden blog keeps you up-to-date with all additions and changes to the Starting-a-garden.com Web site. Subscribe here.
- Valuable Links
- We strive to provide you with the best information on the net about different aspects of gardening. We reviewed and hand selected only quality website to be included in this gardening resources.
- Contact Us
- Contact Us